Black unkept home about me unkept black contact unkept black

Monday, October 7, 2013

DIY Mickey Mouse Disney Fund Jar

Hellooo!

I am here with another blog! This one is going to be quite different from what I plan on doing. Don't worry, it does have to do with traveling though. ;) I have yet to travel to any places where I am able to blog about it BUT I wanted to give this blog a jump start! 

As you all know, I love Disney. I've been to Disney World a couple of times and I am planning to go back again very soon. Like I said earlier, I am a college student so money is a little hard to come by (with loans and books and all) so I decided to start myself a little Disney World Fund. I don't have much yet but it's a start, so that I can make this the best Disney World trip EVER!!! (Too dramatic?) Well anyway, I came up with this DIY idea and I thought I would just share it with you guys. A simple and inexpensive way to jazz up your Disney World Fund jar. Want to make your own Disney World fund jar to resemble Mickey Mouse like this one? Then keep on reading! ;) 



I am currently using a Mason Jar for my fund. You can buy these at Wal-mart or any craft store or even online if you would like. (Just like these on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Wide-Mouth-Quart-Bands/dp/B005T6FBOK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380924524&sr=8-2&keywords=Mason+Jars)

To be honest, they won't hold enough money for one Disney trip but they sure are cute and cheap enough to where you can use more than one jar. (Maybe, make each one a different Disney Character!)

These are the supplies that you would need for this project:
  • Black and Red Paint (I am using Acrylic, simply because it was what I had in the house, you can use Acrylic, glass paint or even Spray paint) 
  • Masking Tape or Painter's tape
  • A Paint Brush (IF you want two, to be safe. One to paint the jar and a smaller one for any small mistakes) 
  • A glue gun
  • A finishing Spray or a hardening spray. (I am using this finishing spray because again, it was what I had around the house)
  • Two Buttons. (I know the ones in the picture are yellow but I ended up switching them out for White ones to fit Mickey more.) 
Everything listed above I got at Hobby Lobby, except for the buttons. The buttons I got from my Mom who is a seamstress. But, you can buy buttons at Hobby Lobby as well. 

First Step is to empty your jar and remove the lid. Put a strip of masking tape about half way up the jar or to your own preference. Make sure the tape goes all around the jar. If you want your jar to have more red paint I would recommend putting that tape higher.

 I would also recommend putting some newspaper down so that you don't accidentally get paint on your working area. Now paint the area below the tape red. I would recommend starting with red first simply because if you mess up, red is easier to cover up with black rather than the other way around. Make sure you smooth out the bottom of the tape as well so that there aren't any holes where the paint can get under the tape. 

 This is what it should end up looking similar too. I put one one coat and then I left it outside to dry for a bit. After It dried for a bit I checked to see if I had missed any spots and I went ahead and put on another coat. After the paint is dry go ahead and take off the masking tape. 

FYI the red is actually not TOO dark, it was just later in the day and I didn't have as much natural sunlight. After taking off the tape, I find that it might be easier to take the tape off while the paint is still wet rather than when it is completely dry. If you do, do that make sure that the paint is COMPLETELY dry before you proceed on. 

Now we are going to put tape on the actual red part of the jar. You want to make sure the top of the masking tape aligns with the top line of the red paint.

Again, make sure that the top of the masking tape is completely smooth out with no holes. We are going to now paint the top black and you want to make sure the black paint does not get on the red paint. Using the same brush (But clean, of course) I'm going to paint the top of the jar black. And it should look somewhat like this:



Again, I am also going to leave this outside to dry for a bit and then put a second coat of paint on it as well. Notice I did not paint the entire top black

I left the part for the lid clear because you still want the lid to close the jar and I was afraid by painting it, it might affect it. 

Once everything is dry, tear off the masking tape. 


 After It was a dry I sprayed the entire jar with a sealer:



And just follow the directions on your own sealer. Mine drys in 15 min. And is ready to handle in 3 hours.

After your jar is dry take your hot glue gun and your white buttons. We are going to put glue on the back of the buttons in a + shape between the holes of the buttons so that you don't get glue through the open holes. I then put glue as a circle around the holes and then put it on the jar in my desired position and held it onto the jar for about 30 sec. Make sure you align the top of the white button to the top of the red paint but make sure you don't overlap it on the black paint. Do the same for both buttons. And this is the end result! 


And there you have it! Mickey Mouse in Jar Form!

Let me know if you try this and how it turned out or even how you improved it! 
Feel Free to share your own pictures with me! 
You're now one cute jar of money closer to your next Disney Vacation ;) 
Any Suggestions? Also Feel free to let me know! Thanks for reading!

Adventure is out there!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment