Black unkept home about me unkept black contact unkept black

Friday, July 17, 2015

DIY Harry Potter Advanced Potion's Book

Hello once again! 

In my last post, I did a DIY on a Harry Potter, Hogwart's trunk for your Harry potter books (click here if you missed it: Harry Potter Trunk) and keeping on key with that Harry Potter theme, I am back with another Harry Potter DIY. I show you how I made the Advanced Potion's Book from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! 

This isn't an ACTUAL potions book because who am I kidding, I'm just not THAT creative. But rather this is a fake book that you can open to put keepsakes and knick knacks in! 

I unfortunately don't have a separate picture for every step of the process, so I'll just talk you through it! 

First: The supplies!

































  1. Wooden Book (I got mine for about $3 on Michaels) I think Hobby Lobby sells cardboard ones and those should work just fine
  2. Black and White Paint. This you can choose your colors. White is for the pages of the books and the Black was for the "binding" and the inside cover.
  3. Mod Podge or some type of glue. (I used Mod Podge because it was what I had on hand and because I can use it as a glue as well as a sealant) 
  4. Masking Tape
  5. Foam Brushes
In addition to these craft supplies, you will also need a computer and printer.

First, I painted the "pages" white. This is where your masking tape comes in handy, tape off the parts of the book you don't want to get paint on.































Second, I painted the inside cover black.I found it easier, to unscrew the hinges and take the entire top cover off so that you can paint it easier as well as later glue on the image seamlessly. 






























Don't forget to paint the bottom inside cover black as well. The bottom cover does not open BUT, there is a little piece running around the edges of the "pages". 

Now, you can let that dry and print off your image. 

I got the image off a Harry Potter Forum on therpf.com - you are going to have to make an account in order to get onto the forum, but it is totally free and they have same amazing cosplay and crafts ideas. Since, it is not my image I won't post it, but you can go onto the website and do a search on Harry Potter and you should be able to find the image. 

The image you download from the forum is rather big, which is good because that means the quality of it will be clear. Measure out the length and width of each part of your book, cover, back cover and spine. The image is downloaded as one image so you're going to have to disassemble it and make is so that it fits the length of your book. The easiest way would be using photoshop BUT using paint works too. You measure out how big the book is compared to the computer paper and fix the sizing and margins accordingly. It took me a couple of tries and prints to get this to work. I recommend going a little bit bigger so you can wrap it. (I printed the front and back cover on card stock and the spine of regular computer paper) 

Print the spine first, use mod podge to adhere it to the book. Let it sit and dry. Make sure the spine can wrap around and little bit.Then I printed the back cover and mod podge it on and the same with the front cover. After that I used an x-acto knife and cut out the wholes for where the hinges are supposed to be and I re-attached the front cover to the rest of the book.

Mod Podge the entire book to seal it and you're done!






Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or if something wasn't clear! 
The hardest part is just playing around and getting your image the right size. 

Thanks for stopping by! 

- Laura 



No comments:

Post a Comment